I’ve got something I need to get off my chest. I’m not the biggest chili fan out there. Yep, I said it. I love soups in most of their forms, but chili is something else. It’s just not my kind of food. And honestly, I don’t know why I don’t like it either. I think it stems from not containing my favorite food groups: pasta, chicken and cheese. But Hubs on the other hand loves chili. He has a “take it or leave it” approach to soups, he’s always up for chili. My aversion makes it that much harder for me to find a recipe that we can agree on.
Then a few years back, Hubs found a recipe that sounded pretty good. Over time we’ve adapted it to our tastes, and what we’ve got in our pantry. This chili has turned into something else. This recipe is a whole different ball game. Beans, ground beef, peppers and onion, and home grown tomatoes. It is delicious!
But what I love about this meal is that it’s very simple, really frugal, and extremely hard to mess up. I’m able to throw the meal together in a few steps and just go with it. In fact, at any given time I have all the ingredients on hand. It also makes a lot of food. We’re not able to eat it all at once, so I freeze any leftovers in 1 cup servings for perfect single serve meals.
A meal that I’m able to make in one pot, in under three steps, makes a ton of leftovers, AND it’s friendly on my wallet? What is not to love?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 jar chili base*
- 1.5 cups kidney beans, I use dry beans I prepped and froze, but in a pinch I use 1-16oz can
- 1.5 cups cannellini beans, I use dry beans I prepped and froze, but in a pinch I use 1-16oz can
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream
*Note: I can chili base in the summer with our surplus of tomatoes. When I run out of chili base, I use a packet of chili seasoning and a 16oz can of tomato sauce with the same results.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown beef in olive oil with the onions and peppers.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes, or until desired thickness. Serve with your choice of toppings.