Ever have a meal that you make up on the spot and think it’ll be a complete flop? This meal stemmed from an attempt to make a gnocchi dinner one night, but I didn’t have any gnocchi, Italian Sausage, or spinach even. So I had to use up things in my pantry, fridge and freezer. Honestly, I didn’t think this meal would be a hit, because kids can be picky eaters like that sometimes. And we only had tortellini a few times before this meal. Boy was I wrong! I couldn’t have been more wrong in my life! The boys wanted seconds, and Hubs made a comment that it’s very similar to a Primavera, and you know what, he’s completely right! The best part about this tortellini sausage and kale is that it’s customizable! You can add in any other veggies you want to this, modify it how you want to fit your crew, and I’m betting it’ll be a hit!
- 1 – 16oz package of tortellini, I used the frozen kind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup kale leaves, torn into bite size pieces
- Prepare tortellini according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add onion, garlic and sausage, cooking until the onions are translucent.
- Add milk. Cook until the milk is bubbly and thickens.
- Add in tortellini, Parm cheese and kale, stirring to combine. Cook until kale is wilted.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add in some of the reserved cooking liquid.